The NBA legend Testifies He Felt No Fear of the Racing Body in Legal Battle
Michael Jeffrey Jordan, as he cordially introduced himself in a Charlotte court on Friday, admitted that his competitive side and status as a newcomer emboldened his effort with 23XI Racing to “challenge” Nascar over alleged violations of antitrust rules.
Financial Stakes and a Competitive Drive
The owner disclosed financial and corporate details of his racing venture, saying he invested $40 million of his own funds into the Cup Series operation launched with business partner Curtis Polk and driver Hamlin.
“Someone had to step forward,” Jordan stated in the Charlotte courtroom. “I was a new person, I wasn’t afraid. I believed I could take on Nascar in its entirety. From my perspective, the sport it needed to be looked at through a new lens.”
The Core Dispute: Franchise System and Renewal Demands
The heart of the case involves the end of a 2016 deal where Nascar provided each team a “charter”. This system mirrors other professional sports with independent franchises, like the Charlotte Hornets or the NFL’s Panthers. This deal was due to end in 2024 when Nascar insisted on teams renew their charters.
Jordan was on the witness stand for about sixty minutes and left the court to a media frenzy, with onlookers and reporters vying for a glimpse or a picture of the sports legend.
Spearheading the Fight
Jordan’s 23XI is at the forefront of the push along with Front Row Motorsports for Nascar to overhaul a operating model Jordan said is breaking the law to keep two hands on the wheel.
At issue for Jordan and a fellow team representative, who preceded Jordan, are details from September 2024. Gibbs described a hectic and tense six hours where the sanctioning body informed teams they must sign a contract extension. The document consists of over a hundred pages detailing team compensation and a guaranteed spot in every race.
Choosing Litigation
Jordan said that his team and its ally concluded their only feasible option was to refuse a signature that 112-page package and take the issue to court. The other 13 organizations agreed to the terms.
Jordan and co-owner Denny Hamlin approached Nascar about potential amendments or extension options. Nascar wasn’t talking, according to his testimony.
The Bottom Line: Victory
Ultimately, the resistance against what he saw as a financially unsustainable model was driven by the familiar goal for Jordan: Success.
“Hamlin persuaded me adding a third car boosted our odds of winning,” he testified, sharing that he bought a third charter last year for $28m despite the uncertainty. “So I dove in.”
Heather Gibbs’ Testimony
Heather Gibbs detailed her push for indefinite franchises, submitted in a written letter to Nascar. She testified the timing of the contract signing demand was problematic.
According to her, Joe Gibbs first attempted to call and persuade Nascar against demanding signatures, but Nascar’s leader refused the appeal.
“Don’t do this to us,” Gibbs recounted Joe Gibbs told Nascar’s executives. She said France replied, “If I wake up and I have 20 charters, I have 20. If I have 30, I have 30.”